Breaking the mould
When it was first introduced in 1999, Ksyrium totally broke the mould of wheel build (traditionally 32 thin steel spokes with tiny nipples, traditional drilling and lacing). It drastically improved the ride quality of a wheel and a new generation of wheel system was born that would set the industry benchmark in the 21st century.
The secret? Finding the sweet spot for wheel performance as it became lighter, stiffer, more comfortable and at the same time more reliable than ever. The key technological developments that enabled this became character traits that still define Ksyrium today:
Revolutionary Fore drilling
Probably the greatest Ksyrium innovation is the revolutionary spoke-rim interface, taken directly from the aeronautics industry, called Fore drilling. Here the rim isn’t actually drilled. Instead its lower bridge is heated, then pushed on the inside forming a channel on which a thread is formed. The nipples (integrated into the spoke) are then directly threaded on the rim. The thread is much larger and deeper than on a traditional steel spoke and nipple, creating the strongest possible connection between the rim and the spoke.
And because the upper bridge of the rim remains intact (no drilling) the stiffness of the rim increases by about 20% without creating the weak point generated by traditional drilling. On top of that, no rim tape is needed, saving another 40g on the wheelset at the most important point of the bike
Zicral alloy spokes
Ksyrium Pro SL also uses super aero and light Zicral alloy spokes that are stiffer, stronger and lighter than the stainless steel versions used on all bicycle wheels since the end of the 19th century.
Isopulse lacing pattern
It was commonly accepted that spokes needed to be crossed at least on the drive side to spread pedalling torque. We went against this belief and created the Isopulse lacing pattern where the spokes are radially laced on the drive side and crossed on the opposite side.
This means the pedalling torque is transferred through the hub shell to the non-drive side spokes giving a much more balanced spoke tension (60/40 instead of 80/20 in some instances), which results in a more stable wheel, maintaining its lateral stiffness even when a high lateral stress is applied (heavy acceleration or climbing out of the saddle, for example)
Next up we patented our ISM technology (Inter Spoke Milling) which gave an extra 10% weight saving. And the weight is saved precisely where the rim suffers very little stress (in between each spoke), which maintains a very high strength level. Prototypes of this new wheel went on to win two Tour de France!
New for 2016: ISM4D
Year after year we have refined our Ksyrium technology and expanded its features (ISM3D, asymmetrical rims, double butted spokes, front carbon hubs…). So Ksyrium is constantly getting lighter, stiffer and stronger.
And this year we’ve done it again. For 2016 the Ksyrium SL becomes the Ksyrium Pro SL with a brand new rim, based on our new rim weight saving technology: ISM4D (Inter Spoke Milling 4 Dimensions).
With ISM4D, each part of the rim is precisely machined leaving just the material needed to guarantee the stiffness and strength of the wheel. The result is a superlight rim at just 370g that also saves you 4 watts thanks to its smoother aerodynamic shape. The total wheel weight remains at an impressively low 795g.
Matching Yksion Pro tyres
The rim is matched with our Yksion Pro tyres that offer a supple 127 TPI casing, Kevlar beads, a well-balanced rubber compound that offers the best blend of grip and rolling resistance and a weight of only 190g in 23mm and 205g in 25mm.
Fast wheel gets even faster:
- ISM 4D wheels keeps weight low while improving aerodynamics
- GripLink and PowerLink tyres increase rolling efficiency and grip
- Zicral spokes and Fore drilling improves lateral stiffness
Super low weight at only 795 grams:
- ISM 4D rim machining makes for the lightest road rims
- Zicral spokes lowers weight while maintaining stiffness
- Superlight Yksion Pro tyres
- Fore drilling makes for a secured spoke / rim interface
- Strong oversize Zicral alloy spokes
- Sealed cartridge bearings
- Material: Maxtal
- Height: front 24mm, rear 26 asymmetrical
- Joint: SUP
- Drilling: Fore
- Brake track: UB Control
- Weight reduction: ISM 4D
- Valve hole diameter: 6.5 mm
- Tyre: clincher
- ETRTO size: 622x15C
- Recommended tyre sizes: 23 to 32 mm
- Material: Zicral
- Shape: straight pull, bladed, front double butted
- Nipples: Fore integrated aluminum
- Count: front 18, rear 20
- Lacing: front radial, rear Isopulse
- Front body: carbon with aluminum flanges
- Rear body: aluminum
- Axle material: aluminum
- Adjustable sealed cartridge bearings
- Freewheel: FTS-L steel
- Yksion Pro GripLink (front) & PowerLink (rear)
- Front and Rear Tread: Single Compound
- Casing: 127 TPI
- Breaker: Front Kevlar, Rear nylon
- Dimensions: 23-622 (700x23c) or 25-622 (700x25C)
- Max. Pressure: 23mm 8.7 bars - 125 psi
- Max. Pressure: 25mm 7.7 bars - 110 PSI
- Clincher M11
- Clincher ED11
- BR601 quick releases (V24 501 01 frt, V24 502 01 rear)
- Multifonction adjustment wrench (325 423 01)
- User guide
- Recommended weight limit : 120kg
- Weight : 795 grams
Exclusive carbon technologies:
Exclusive carbon wheel technologies developed by Mavic offer a perfect balance between performance and reliability.CXR Wheel-Tyre Systems are engineered for triathletes and flat road or time trial races, with superior aero performance, speed and stability. A versatile and lightweight carbon clincher, the Cosmic Carbone 40 C Wheel-Tyre System meets the demands of daily riding, with Mavic’s exclusive TgMax high temperature carbon fiber for the safest, most reliable braking.
KSYRIUM REINVENTED: Wider, Carbon, disc and a new playground
Inter Spoke Milling 4 Dimensions An exclusive Mavic patented concept, ISM 4D significantly reduces weight and inertia without compromising durability. Quicker accelerations, better handling and more resistance ; the right mix to make the most of any ride. The smooth profile also helps reducing aerodynamic drag
- 15% lighter rim, the lowest inertia for instant acceleration, better handling and faster climbing
- Variable rim thickness optimizes constraints management for more reliability
- Smoother rim profile offers better air flow which reduces drag for higher speed
Grip and control
A front tyre, whether a clincher or a tubular, must fully liberate the wheel’s ability to hold the ground and control the bike. Therefore, GripLink tyres are optimized for front use, by offering a superior grip and extra puncture protection.
- The safest grip with great steering control: grippy tread compound and water evacuation tread pattern
- Hold the road in any situation: light and supple high density casing
- Reduced risk of flats: strong Kevlar anti-puncture breaker
Low rolling resistance A rear tyre, whether a clincher or a tubular, must fully liberate the wheel’s ability to transfer power and generate speed. Therefore, PowerLink tyres are optimized for rear wheel use, by minimizing the rolling resistance.
- Superior energy transfer, reduced rolling resistance and safe grip thanks to optimized tread pattern
- Improved drive: light and supple high density casing
- Higher durability and reduced risk of flats: nylon anti-puncture breaker
Force Transfer System Light Reinforcement of key transmission components: the contact area between the pawl and the hub body is reinforced by 2 stainless steel inserts, which allows the use of a 100% aluminum hub body.
- Greater efficiency due to better transmission of efforts on the entire wheel
- Lightweight and strong hub design
Stiffer and stronger Instead of being drilled, the lower rim bridge is pushed up on the inside, then threaded to enable the spoke nipples to be directly screwed in it, leaving the upper rim bridge intact.
- Rim is 4 times more resistant to fatigue stress
- 20% increase in the rim rigidity to maximize power transfer
Optimum energy transfer The spokes are laced radially on the drive side and crossed 2 on the non drive side to maximise drive side dish, thus providing a better spoke tension balance between left and right flanges.
- Higher stiffness under heavy loads for crystal clear energy transmission
- Better wheel stability for fewer maintenance
Qualité de Roulements Mavic Mavic only uses high quality sealed cartridge bearings. On QRM wheels, they feature double sealing (2RS or LLU) together with tight C3 internal clearance.
- High efficiency thanks to low play and tight tolerances
- High durability
Light, stiff and strong A specific aluminum alloy that provides spokes with higher stiffness-to-weight ratio while being stronger.
- Lighter spokes for easier climbing
- Stiffer spokes for better energy transmission
- Stronger spokes for increased durability
Light and strong Exclusive to Mavic, this specific aluminum alloy offers a higher strength to weight ratio than conventional 6106 alloy.
- 30% more resistant rims
- Lighter rims
Stronger and smoother joint Soudé Usiné Process. After bending, the rim joint is arc welded. The welded seam is then milled for a smooth finish.
- Extremely strong rim joint
- Eliminates shuddering when braking
- Superior wheel balance
Usiné Brut Control The braking surfaces are precisely CNC machined.
- Improves braking friction
- Eliminates shuddering when braking
Would like to buy Mavic Ksyrium Pro SL C 25 Rear? You are at the right place! In the category of Road wheels at the online bike store you can find a big variety of different models at the best price. Find the best bike products, that adapt to your needs at bikeinn. Are you looking for a gift? Don´t miss also our Wheels and tyres sales.