The Zipp 202 Firecrest Carbon Clincher Disc-brake wheelset is all about new technology and new adventure. And a new era for road bikes. This trend-defining wheelset is now improved with the durable and versatile 77/177D hubset. That innovation means the 202 Firecrest Carbon Clincher Disc-brake wheelset is now thru-axle compatible.
The 77/177D hubset combines with Zipp’s Firecrest technology to offer everything you look for in a disc-brake road wheel. The Zipp 202 Firecrest Carbon Clincher Disc-brake delivers the enhanced modulation and stopping power of disc-braking, whether you stay on the road or venture into less tame territory. At 32mm deep utilizing Zipp’s revolutionary Firecrest design, this wheel has the aerodynamic resume of wheels twice its depth yet handles more predictably than a shallow box-section wheel.
To exceed the demands of gravel and adventure road riding, the 202 Firecrest Carbon Clincher Disc-brake wheelset also is laced using Sapim® brass nipples for increased stiffness and durability in all conditions.
About the 77/177D hubset:
- Bearing preload precision set – that means no pre-load adjustment is needed.
- Improved bearing protection and sealant.
- Includes newly designed quick-release skewers with a wider more ergonomic handle to provide more leverage for opening and closing. When closed, lever contours neatly - with the frame.
- Thru-axle compatible. Comes with thru-axle end caps that can be swapped by hand:
- Front: 12x100mm & 15x100mm
- Rear: 12x135mm & 12x142mm
- Proprietary flange geometry and spoke hole attachment pattern with Sapim® CX-Ray® - spokes to optimize torsional and lateral stiffness without sacrificing weight or robustness.
- New distinctive hub graphics.
- 17mm axle
- The 202 Firecrest Carbon Clincher Disc-brake wheelset comes with a standard 10/11 speed driver body for SRAM®/Shimano® or for Campagnolo®, allowing you to run a wide range of cassettes. For those looking for a wider gear range, or tackling especially extreme terrain, a SRAM XD driver body for 177D (sold separately) is easily installed to allow for more cassette options. A 1.85mm spacer is included with the XD driver body and is required for use on the 177D hub. XD driver body compatible with 11-speed cassettes only.
- The 77/177D hubset is surrounding by two most profound wheel innovations -- the Firecrest rim shape and Carbon Clincher technology. Firecrest rims have a near-constant width from brake track to spoke bed to improve aerodynamics and better control airflow. We used Computational Fluid Dynamics software analysis to maximize aerodynamics and minimize wind-produced torque, resulting in a 202 Firecrest Carbon Clincher Disc-brake wheelset that is faster and better handling than a classic road wheel. Our Firecrest rim shape improves stability by moving the wheel’s center of pressure to sit almost directly over the steering axis, where wind-produced steering torque has a minimal effect.
- The 202 Firecrest Carbon Clincher Disc-brake wheelset comes with two decal options, the stealthy Beyond Black or the distinctive Classic White decals. Both decal options feature black anodized hubs, black spokes and silver nipples.
Each wheel includes 2 sets of Zipp thru-axle end caps, 1 Zipp skewers, 1 rolls of Zipp rim tape 700c x 20mm and 1 Zipp valve extenders. Rear wheel includes 1.85mm spacer for use with 10-speed cassettes.
- Weight: 825g
- Hub Used: 177D
- Hub Width: 135mm 142 with thru-axle caps
- Rim Depth: 32mm
- Brake Track Width (center): 24.62mm
- Max Width: 25.4mm
- Spokes: Sapim® CX-Ray®
- Spoke Count: 24
- Spoke Length Non-Drive: 284mm
- Spoke Pattern Non-Drive: 2 cross
- Spoke Pattern Drive: 2 cross
- Spoke Length Drive: 282mm
- Max Tire Pressure: 125psi
- Max Tire Pressure: 8.62bars
- 11-speed compatible hub: Yes
- Dimpled Surface: Yes
- Nipples: Brass Sapim® Secure Lock
- External Nipples: Yes
- Thru Axle Compatible: Yes
- XD Driver Body Compatible: Yes
- With the new proprietary Firecrest rim shape in our 202, 303, 404 and 808 Firecrest wheels, Zipp wheels make a bigger difference in more ways than ever. Not only is Firecrest more aerodynamic than any other rim design, it improves handling in crosswinds and overall ride quality.
- Our superior Carbon Clincher technology is the culmination of two years of intensive prototyping and testing. We worked with our composites supplier to develop an exclusive heat-resistant resin based on the materials used in motorsports brake systems. This proprietary technology improves heat management so substantially that all Zipp Carbon Clinchers pass stringent CEN safety standards.
ABLC™ (Aerodynamic Boundary Layer Control)
- Advanced Boundary Layer Control (ABLC) refers to the patented and instantly recognizable dimpled pattern found on all of our carbon rims. ABLC smoothes airflow across the rims surface and is tailored to every model from the 202 to the Super-9 Disc. The third-generation of ABLC has up to four times more dimples than before.
- Electron Discharge Machining allows us to cut the materials for our rear hub drive internals after they’ve been hardened through heat treating, negating the warping and imprecision caused by the heat-treating process.
- Zipp is the only company specifying Swiss made highly specialized ball bearing cartridges. Working with a family owned Swiss bearing manufacturer, Zipp is able to attain a superior level of bearing smoothness and long life. Zipp ball bearings are specified to 10 millionths of an inch tolerance, guaranteeing that they are at least 2.5 times rounder and better matched than most company’s “high precision” balls, and more than five times tighter than most “precision” balls.
If you are interested in Zipp 202 Firecrest disc Carbon Rear 11S Sram, discover also other bike products related to Zipp in the Wheels and tyres department and Road wheels for disc brakes catalogue. In addition, when buying at bikeinn, your online bike store, you join the biggest sports community, where you can find opinions, product reviews, and the best offers that you are interested in.